Wednesday, May 30, 2012

.hangin up the trackies.


In the last few weeks, I have been preparing to go back to work. I have signed up with a recruiting agency, have a daycare centre on standby and even been on an interview (fingers crossed I get it).  But it makes me scared and nervous. Does this mean that someone else will be raising my children? Will I be judged for putting my baby in daycare? 
I 100% respect working mums. They work so hard. Imagine working a 8-9 hour day, and all you want to do is go home, have a nice bath, eat dinner whenever you want, paint your toe nails, maybe apply a tan (that actually sounds familiar, pre-children), but you can’t. You have to then pick up your children from daycare, get home, get all children through the shower/bath, put pj’s on kids, get dinner ready, eat dinner (while watching home and away), make sure your kids eat their dinner, read a bedtime story to them and hopefully put them to bed at a reasonable hour. ALL OF THIS, BEFORE EVEN GETTING OUT OF YOUR WORK CLOTHES.
Yes, I will get a lunch break, a whole hour to myself. Jealous? And I will be able to do grocery shopping on my way to pick them up, by myself. I see all the benefits, I really do. But then I see the downside. I probably won’t be the first one to see Harper take her first steps, I don’t get to spend the whole day in my pyjama’s if I want to, if it’s raining, I can stay inside all day and not even do my hair! And most importantly, I don't get to spend ALL day with my babies. But we want to live a certain lifestyle and we want to give our daughters the best chance, and to live on the beach. I don’t want to be judged because I’m going back to work. Harper will be 8 months by the time I do start work, if I get the job. I see mothers go back to work after only 6 weeks! And I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.
I think putting babies/children into a good daycare instills routine into their life and kids thrive on that. I shouldn’t have to defend why I’m putting my girls into daycare but a lot of people (mainly strangers) give me a look of pity and say “ohhhh why?” then I say “Otherwise, we would have to sell one of the kids to be able to live” I don’t really say that, but wouldn’t it be funny?
I think that if anyone is thinking about going back to work, don’t feel guilty about it. Embrace it. You’ve been on a beautiful journey being pregnant, having the baby and looking after him/her for the best part, the beginning. It’s just time for a different journey. It is now time for me to hang up my daggy mum trackie pants and start earning some money. I’m happy and excited to start helping my husband out with the financial side of things. It excites me that we are starting a new chapter in our lives..

Harly, Harper & me x

No comments:

Post a Comment