Thursday, October 29, 2015

How I escaped religion.

​How I escaped religion and became a better human.

 

I want to start this post by stating that I was never involved in a cult. Religion can come across very cult-like but by no means was it. ‘Escaping religion’ makes it sounds like I was part of something where we drank blood, pierced our nipples and sacrificed our livestock so that we may please the higher power. This is not true, but it does sound kind of fun.

 

I grew up in a religious household, and much to my parents demise, am not religious in the slightest. *Cue gasps and snickering*

 

So.... Where does science come into religion???

From a very young age, I was so curious about other religions. I didn’t want to follow them, I was just curious as to why we should follow one God, when we could have an option as to which one we could choose. I suppose it's kind of similar to Tinder. My parents literally looked at me like I had cut my toes off. Like, WHAT? You want to know things; about other Gods, about other religions? There are no other Gods… NOW GO PRAY!

 

From 8am to 1pm; then again from 5:30pm to 8:30pmwe went to church; every. Damn. Sunday.
Do you know what I do every Sunday now? Sweet FA. I enjoy it and I'm still a good person, right? Of course I'm a good person, I don't need to go to church to tell me that, to 'help' me be kind. It costs $0 to be kind; it feels great and it makes people smile. Shouldn't THAT be the message we need to get out? To be kind...?

When I was a kid, I am ashamed to say that I was brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality was wrong. I want to go back in time and literally punch myself in the face for being so judgemental. At the time, I thought my parents might hate me for thinking so differently to them. I was scared to have a different opinion and that I might be sent ‘straight to hell’ if I even entertained a different thought. By the way, how cruel is that? To tell a child they will forever burn in a place where they will never see their family, for all eternity. Burn. All eternity. Forever.

Sounds lovely, doesn’t it?


It fucks with your brain, it almost does sound cult like. I was scared to let anyone know how much I enjoyed swearing, in fear they would not accept me (or that I would in fact BURN FOREVER IN THE PITS OF HELL). Do you hear how stupid that sounds? I was afraid of being judged and you know why? Because Christians are judgemental. Ever heard of Westboro Baptist? The most judgemental humans on this planet. And if we always live in fear of not being accepted, then how will people find out how incredibly awesome you are? Where would Lady Gaga be? Freddie Mercury would never have been in the public eye and Bohemian Rhapsody would NEVER be here. What would be my karaoke go to then, huh? 

Even now, trying to write this post; I find it difficult because I'm so pissed off with how I used to think when I was heavily involved in church. You don't have to be religious to be kind; you don't have to be religious to make people smile; you don't have to be religious to create music. Do what is inside of you and do what makes you happy. Don't try and please 'God' but suffer yourself in the meantime. Nobody judges you for being true to who you are. And if they do, they are the asshole, not you. 


So, how did I escape? Easy.... I decided to be myself, not care what anyone else thought, became the kind of person I always knew I was and lived an easier existence... It only took me 29 years, but I finally accepted myself.


You're a good person. You don't need 'God' to tell you that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment