Tuesday, June 16, 2015

.marriage is effing hard work.





Marriage is a tough slog and if you think that it's all about date nights, sex and sex, you're about to be hit with some fucking truth. It's basically about being able to love someone at the same time as wanting to kill them.

My relationship with my husband was a whirlwind relationship. We had a long distance relationship for 3 months before I moved state to be with him. Was I 100% certain it would work, no way. But I was in love and willing to give it a go. Best decision I have ever made. 3 amazing kids and nearly 7 years later, I love him more than anything - I still want to punch his face in sometimes, just not as much.



2 weeks into moving, I found out I was pregnant and we were both ecstatic. We had spoken about marriage so I knew it was on the cards but I was in no rush. 

On valentines day (so wanky), he proposed to me in the same spot he asked me to be his girlfriend (I actually laughed at the way he asked me to be his gf, felt like we were 12. He wasn't impressed). 

3 days later, we wed. #noregrets


My parents, our dog - Bronx and a family friend witnessed the wedding and it started raining during the 'ceremony' causing us to move under the harbour bridge.  I wouldn't change a thing... Although I was falling asleep during the vows, so I would change how tired I was. 

The next day at work, I casually told my boss 'oh I got married last night, can I change my last name?'.

We have our ups and downs and we fight but we are truely soul mates. There is no one else in this world who would put up with my weirdness as much as he does. And no woman I know would put up with my husband. We're a perfect fit. I even get along with his Mum - bonus. 

But marriage can be hard! Like when he naps during the day while I'm running around cleaning our house. I literally want to smother his face with a pillow until he's close to death - I obviously still need someone to pay my rent. But I'm just jealous that he gets to nap all the fucking time, and I DON'T!!!
Ok that's a touchy subject.

Marriage is hard because you no longer are able to be selfish. Even moreso when you have kids, but I'll save that for a different blog.

Marriage is all about balance and being a stay at home Mum, I feel like he gets to have all the fun while I'm knee deep in baby shit. And that sometimes hurts. I used to work too, ya know? Only now, I work harder, work longer hours and am constantly 'on call' all for zero dollars. ZERO. FECKING. DOLLARS! 

I am very lucky that I have an awesome husband who works hard for his family. Marriage is hard at times but it's mainly because I'm jealous of him having all the fun. We have to be a team and agree with each other, especially in front of our children. 

Then kill each other fighting later, when the kids are asleep. #parenting101

You, me + 3

No comments:

Post a Comment